Diane Jenks, the “Outspoken Cyclist” from Cleveland, Ohio, captures the essence of Elizabeth’s physical trek across this country’s landscape and her deeper journey into surviving melanoma and rediscovering the spirit of her father. Feb. 27, 2021.
Radio & TV Appearances
Click on the links below to hear/watch more about Elizabeth cross-country bicycling adventure.
- Spotlight on: “Outpedaling ‘The Big C’
Mars Hill Radio host Dawn Sessler, from Syracuse, N.Y., interviews Elizabeth about how persistence matters when navigating rough and tumble times. Aired Jan. 1, 2021.
- “Outpedaling The Big C:” How Biking Across America Helped One Woman Reclaim Her Life After Cancer
NPR Milwaukee/WUWM 89.7 – Elizabeth interview with reporter Audrey Nowakowski aired Nov. 27, 2020
- “An American Story” on PBS39 serving the Greater Lehigh Valley, PA
PBS “More Than Money” host Gene Dickison interviews Elizabeth about her bicycle trek, her cancer odyssey and her journey to rediscover her father during this “An American Story” episode aired Sept. 22. Runs 28 minutes.
- CBS News Radio “Eye on Travel” with Peter Greenberg
CBS Travel Detective Peter Greenberg interviews Elizabeth about her cross-country bike ride, Heals on Wheels, and how vital bicycling has become during the coronavirus pandemic. Aired Aug. 22. Note: Interview with Elizabeth starts at 29 minutes, 36 seconds into the segment.
Magazine, Newspaper & Newsletter Articles
- The Potomac Appalachian: Newsletter of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
November 2020 issue, page 9
Keep Calm and Read On: One of Our Own
- Jane Friedman’s “Getting Published” guest post
Oct. 22, 2020
I Spent Nearly Two Decades Writing and Editing My Book. It Finally Found a Publisher.
- Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association
Autumn 2020 issue
McGowan spins moving tale of cross-country bike odyssey
- Crain NewsPro
October 2020 issue
“Getting Around Trump: Environmental Reporters Share Different Tactics” page
- Idaho Magazine
October 2020 issue
Cambridge to White Bird – A Lone Cyclist on a Long Ride
- The Racine (Wisconsin) Journal Times
Oct. 4, 2020
Our Authors: One woman’s journey for rediscovery
- The Janesville (Wisconsin) Gazette
Oct. 1, 2020
Book chronicles cyclist’s journey to outpedal ‘The Big C’
- Melanoma Research Alliance, Melanoma Stories
Sept. 18, 2020
Elizabeth McGowan @ Outpedaling ‘The Big C’
- “Mary Beth Danielson writes” guest post
Outpedaling ‘The Big C’: My Healing Cycle Across America